A shorter version of this article is featured in the FALL 2016 issue of the FabUPlus Magazine print and digital versions.
Just like most people, I used to think that my weight was it. To me, hopping on the scale every morning the main way of measuring health.
Very deeply ingrained in me was the belief that my weight was the measure of how healthy I was, how good I looked, and how worthy I was supposed to feel.
Have you ever lay awake in bed at night thinking about how unworthy and unattractive you are for not weighing a certain specific number on the scale? And then proceeded to internally judge yourself for not exercising enough and for not eating low enough calories?
Yes, I have. And I know exactly how it feels.
It feels depressing and disheartening and it somehow makes life not worth living – the ‘weight measuring’ is a battle that is impossible to win.
Through the process of internal work on myself and through the process of becoming a Health Coach and helping women get truly healthy from the inside out, I discovered, and now KNOW with absolute certainty, that weight means nothing.
Revolving your whole entire health status and life on how much you weigh is the perfect recipe for getting less and less healthy.
In other words, weighing yourself on a regular basis is a MAJOR deterrent to getting healthy.
Here is why getting up on that scale can make you unhealthy in the long run:
- Weighing yourself makes you depressed and discouraged for no good reason: you don’t know what is going on inside your body and what is causing the increase in weight. For example, if you are in a program to get truly healthy from the inside out, as you are in the process of improving your lifestyle habits, your body will completely change its biochemical environment – this process takes time and happens in a way that will make you lose fat but not necessarily weight!! Your body is just healing itself and getting healthy and completely rearranging its chemical environment.
- Your weight does not tell you if you are getting healthier. Your weight can go up while at the same time your fat percentage can go down. In the same way, your weight can go down while your fat percentage stays the same or goes up.
- Weight DOES NOT tell you anything about your shape and whether or not it is changing into the shape that you desire. Shape change means fat loss. Weight change could mean muscle loss, water loss, and fat loss. So, you could lose weight and at the same time be doing absolutely nothing to your shape (real fat loss).
You do not need the scale to measure your health.
You will be surprised to learn that your gorgeous and beautiful body has many ways of communicating with you whether or not you are as healthy as you could be right now and if you are heading in the right direction of getting healthy without you EVER having to step on a scale.
Your body needs time and patience, and love and compassion just like you would treat the person you most love in this whole entire world.
Put yourself in your body’s shoes. You will realize HOW MUCH it has suffered: major chronic stress, pregnancy and taking care of young kids, relationship stresses, our own emotional issues that we have acquired growing up, and more! It needs time. It needs your utmost love and understanding.
So, as you begin the journey of taking care of yourself and healing your body from the inside out, always and forever keep in mind the following list of the many ways you can measure health: you will feel it, you will know it and you will never have to step on a scale again.
Do something extraordinary……..ditch the scale.
Here are a few ways of measuring health:
- It is easy for me to focus and concentrate on my daily tasks and my brain fog is gone.
- I feel an unshakable love and respect for my myself and my body.
- I have clear and glowing skin.
- I have a huge desire to create something.
- I feel relaxed and content before falling asleep.
- I wake up feeling rested, refreshed, and amazing in the morning.
- I have way less mood swings.
- Amazing people are starting to come into my life.
- My aches and pains have significantly reduced or have been eliminated.
- I have little to no cravings.
- I experience deep and restful sleep on a regular basis.
- I am not hungry all the time.
- Being busy all the time does not feel like me anymore, I crave time to recharge and care for myself.
- I focus 100% on the quality of the foods I eat and not on the amount I eat.
- I do not count calories.
- My brain feels sharp and clear most of the time.
- I feel excited to get out there and move my body.
- I feel like I am at the right place at the right time.
- My body shape is changing.